Monday, March 23, 2009

The Doors of Venice


In 2006, on our trip to Venice we were intrigued by the history, the culture and scenery. The architecture was amazing.... all the beautiful buildings with their unique doors and windows.....all the old ironwork...masonry....texture and light....it was a visual feast!



I took photograph after photograph of all the ironwork, the shutters, windows and doors.....


I thought I was really on to something.....Rob thought it was ingenious....we thought it was a novel and great idea to focus on taking pictures of all these unique and beautiful doors......so my little Canon SD600 and I spent the next few days clicking away.....


Little did I know that all tourists....in fact everyone who goes to Venice has the same idea.....they all take much the same pictures ...... why?...well because the architecture there, the doors, windows, masonry, ironwork, colors, textures and light are spectacular and like no where else!


I came back with 700 pictures (not ALL windows and doors of course)......and love each and every one of them because they bring me back to one of the highlights of my life......my romantic adventure in Venice with Rob, Lynn and Steve....


When we got back home I found a slew of books on Venice filled with incredible photographs ....of course all much better and more professional than mine....calendars and all kinds of print materials with spectacular photographs of the unique and most beautiful doors of Venice .....

My amateurish photos, untouched..... without benefit of photoshop or other means to enhance them may appear a bit bland in comparison but it was amazingly fun to take those pics....an opportunity of a life time....


....and truly....no one, not even a professional can take a picture that evokes the same emotion as one feels when actually in Venice.....walking the streets, floating down the canals and experiencing this beautiful city first hand! This last picture is of Harry's Bar......yummy peach Bellinis! I hope to go back again one day....with a better camera and a broader vision.....a little less naive perhaps! Ciao bella!

8 comments:

Rosemary said...

Hi again Laura,
I love old architecture, and old doors. Love your photos! I recently took pictures of the Theatre of Dreams doors. Check my blog.
My daughter went to Italy on her honeymoon, and took lots of these shots too. I can't wait to go someday.
I tried to comment before, but it wouldn't let me post a comment, so I am trying again.
Rosemary

Stephanie said...

Your photos are nice. I would love to go to Venice one day. I can see why the doors and ironwork caught your eye. I like the second photo with the round opening and ironwork. It's stunning. Thank you for sharing.

debi lynn mattingly said...

Hi sweetie!

When I lived in Europe, one of my fav cities was Venice! So good to see it again...I have always been attracted to distressed wood & metal! Their craftsmanship beats no other....glad to hear you had a fun-filled trip and are back safe & sound!

xo...deb

manon 21 said...

drôle je pars jeudi a Venise!!

manon

Carole said...

Like you said your pictures are better then the pros because they're yours. Well done!!!

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Now that is a place I'd love to visit! What beautiful architecture! You must have had a fabulous time.
Thanks for sharing some of your holiday pics.
Isabelle x

Ali @ Betty and Violet said...

I love your photos...I have a thing about doorways, gates & windows and am always taking pictures of them when I travel!

sylvia said...

it is so funny...I did the same with Paris....I wish they would make books with hundreds and hundreds of doors in city's like venice, Paris and London, the doors are so historical and they make you wonder about all the persons that used them..